If you know me, you know I love my lavender. From lavender tea, to lavender aromatherapy - you can find it all over my home, literally. It is also the only plant I requested when my husband first set up our garden. In the summer, we usually harvest many bundles of lavender, but I've really only used it to freshen up our home.
This variety (English lavender) can also be used in cooking, so I decided to wash and dry my lavender last summer. I used the dried lavender in the simple syrup for this cocktail, and it gave the cocktail a delicate floral touch, perfect for spring and summer!
To make this cocktail, you'll need: gin, sparkling water or tonic water, lemon juice and my homemade lavender honey simple syrup. To get this gorgeous colour, I used Empress 1908 Gin! How gorgeous is the colour?!
Fun fact: The gin is naturally blue because of the butterfly pea blossoms, but if it mixes with anything acidic, like lemon juice, it turns this gorgeous violet colour! So of course I had to make a beautiful drink with it!
Lavender Honey Simple Syrup (enough to make 4 drinks):
-3/4 cup of water
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-2 tbsp of honey
-1 heaping tbsp of dried lavender
For the cocktail (single serving):
-2 oz Empress 1908 Gin
-3 oz of sparkling water
-1 oz simple syrup (add more if you like it sweeter)
-1 oz lemon juice
To make the Lavender Honey Simple Syrup:
1. In a pot over medium heat, add all of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
2. Let the mixture boil for about 5 minutes, then turn off the heat.
3. Allow it to steep and cool in the pan for at least one hour.
4. Strain and put the syrup in a jar.
To make the Lavender Bee's Knees Cocktail:
1. Fill a glass with ice.
2. Pour over the sparkling water, simple syrup, lemon juice and the gin (this is how I got the ombre colour in the photos).
3. Stir well before drinking, and then enjoy!
If you give this a try, tag me on Instagram! I'd love to see it! Cheers!